Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Power Rangers Movie (2017)
The_817
 Posted: Mar 18 2017, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Putty
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 991

Not sure how this happened but Australia is actually getting Power Rangers on the 23rd and it appears America does not get it until the 24th. I noticed a cool new movie poster when I was at the theatre this afternoon.

user posted image
PM
^
Tyrailius
 Posted: Apr 2 2017, 02:51 PM
Quote Post

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

Shout out to everyone for not posting any spoilers. It is now a week after the premiere, so everything is now free game in here. All we ask is if you do post any spoilers you either post a disclaimer or place them in spoiler tags. This is your warning, the rest of this post will have a few spoilers, so don't read any further if you don't want the movie to be ruined.

I finally saw the movie yesterday and have to say it exceeded my expectations. I think knowing way ahead of time who the actors and actresses would be helped quite a bit. I went in trying to not compare it to the seasons, but as a stand alone film this movie was excellent on it's own. All the rangers fit their characters and were great selections. Billy had to be the funniest and possibly most liked in the film. The way the film portrayed and gave the Rita and Goldar story was different, but it made sense.

My favorite part of Power Rangers was probably the bonfire scene. The audience learns quite a bit about the rangers during that scene. Later on, I was surprised when a certain ranger actually died. That's as far as I'll go for now about that part, but it was surprising.

In the final battle when the zords appeared was another great part of the movie. The old theme song played as the zords were coming into battle and the scene was similar to how the zords appeared in the Mighty Morphin Power Ranger episodes.

Bombshell: Two rangers make cameo's at the end of the final battle. I won't spoil that part yet, but if you are not paying attention you could miss it.

Before the credits roll, the principal in detention explains there is a new student that will be joining them that Saturday. The students name is Tommy Oliver and he is nowhere to be found.

I tried not to spoil too much. If you haven't seen the movie, you should. You will not be disappointed.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
^
Javert
 Posted: Apr 7 2017, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Master Vile
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3

I absolutely loved this movie. I went and saw it on opening weekend, and wanted to go again, but haven't had the chance yet. The only two disappointments was that we didn't get more ranger action and we didn't see the Megazord transformation. Otherwise it was awesome.

Starting with the story, it's a twist on Day of the Dumpster. Zordon and Alpha don't pick the rangers, instead the rangers find the coins. I loved that just having the coins wasn't enough to morph. They had to selfishly believe in each other in order for it to happen. It was a nice change. Zordon and Alpha were underutilized in my mind and Zordon did seem like a bit of a jerk, but I did love his sacrafice that he made in order to save one of the rangers.

While all the rangers were great, RJ Cyler stole the show as Billy. He was fantastic. I was nervous about putting Billy on the Autism Spectrum when they announced it ahead of time, but it really worked. It wasn't made an overly big deal, but he believed portrayed it. He was outstanding. The only one I didn't love was Ludi Lin as Zack, and I think he was just underdeveloped. He certainly wasn't bad in the role, and did stand out in the campfire scene, but he just wasn't given enough opportunities to shine as the others were.

The tease in the credits scene was cool. I figured that's what it would be, but it was still cool to here the name Tommy Oliver teased.

Overall, I really thought this was a well done movie, a lot better than I was expecting. Seeing the trailers and images, I wasn't super pumped for it, but it turned out better than I could've imagined. It was a movie first and a superhero movie second, which is why I think I liked it so much.
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
^
Viterbo
 Posted: Apr 9 2017, 11:26 PM
Quote Post

Putty
Group Icon

Member No.: 987

I went into the theater not expecting much from this movie, but they proved me wrong. This was a good movie! It had great CGI and the acting was pretty good for the young cast. The creators did a great job with the character development and the writers did a great job drawing the audience in and making them care about the characters. Zack may have been the leader, but Billy really stuck out in the film and was the easiest character to connect to. This is a great film for people of all ages. Whether you are a Power Ranger fan or not; I think you will leave the theater with a smile on your face.

I am going home this weekend for Easter and to visit Hannah. She has also already watched the Power Rangers movie and we are going together this weekend to nerd out. The main goal this time is to look for nods to the original Power Rangers. We will be paying a lot more attention to the background details this time around and will post our findings after we see it again this weekend.

This post has been edited by Viterbo: Apr 9 2017, 11:28 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
^
Nasuko
 Posted: Apr 10 2017, 11:01 PM
Quote Post

Rita Repulsa
Group Icon

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 7

Saw the movie on opening weekend, and I have to agree it did not dissapoint! I actually had to go see it two more times (different friends), and it oddly enough got better the more I watched it.

The graphic novel that continued the series wasn't terrible either. A little slow going, but it did introduce some pretty interesting characters. I would recommend that read, if you enjoyed the movie.
PMEmail PosterMSN
^
Viterbo
 Posted: Jun 9 2017, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

Putty
Group Icon

Member No.: 987

It took me some time to finally post these.

Here is the list of nods to the original I remember noticing. Hannah has the full list of what we recognized so she will have to post the complete list when she has time.
  • The Angel Grove High logo in this film is the exact same one they used in the Mighty Morhpin Power Rangers Movie (1993).
  • In Trini's bedroom there is a window with a circle around it and inside there is a tiger's head, this was the original yellow ranger power coin design.
  • Some Angel Grove street signs were "Reefside" and "Ocean Bluff Rd". These are references to Power Rangers Dino Thunder and Power Rangers Jungle Fury since the cities in both series were Reefside and Ocean Bluff.
  • Sam Scott mentions "Mariner Bay" in the film which was a reference to a location from Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue.
  • In Billy's bedroom there is a shelf with action figures of Squatt, Baboo and Finster from the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
  • When the rangers train in "the pit" there is a scorpion running across a rock. Probably a reference to Scorpina, who might appear in the next film.

Non-PR related:
  • The school used as Angel Grove High School in this movie is the same school used as Smallville High School on the TV series Smallville.

This post has been edited by Viterbo: Jun 9 2017, 06:18 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
^
Lyle
 Posted: Jun 25 2017, 01:21 AM
Quote Post

Putty
Group Icon

Member No.: 995

The Power Rangers DVD and Blu-Ray officially hits the shelves on June 27th! I already have mine. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif I pre-ordered mine at Best Buy and received a call today telling me I could go pick it up. So it looks like most Best Buy's got them early or are delivering them already if you pre-ordered.
PM
^
Ryu Hardt
 Posted: Jun 26 2017, 08:43 PM
Quote Post

Supa Admin'jin
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

Wow. There's nothing like vanishing for a couple of years right as major movie information and news, not to mention the actual movie, drops. Get your timing together, Ryu! //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Anyway, I was going to see the movie on opening weekend, but Tyrailius talked me into waiting a week and seeing it with him April 1st. It was probably for the better because, being in theaters for a week and some change, meant a not-as-packed theater. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing movies when theaters are packed as it's nice to hear others' reactions, but I hate the kids that are noisy, loud and on their smartphones half the time. And if you don't get the back row, it's inevitable that some idiot(s) will sit behind you and kick your seat the entire movie, but I digress...

As for the film, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know when I was speculating about cameo's I was critical of Jason David Frank NOT getting a spot, but I loved the way they threw in his and Amy Jo Johnson's cameo. It was subtle enough that if you blinked, you missed it. (Tyrailius even told me that he would've had I not nudged him. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/wink.gif ) I also loved the other nods to the series, but hearing the 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie' theme as the Megazord's ran to the final battle sent goosebumps down my spine. The Triceratops running backwards was brilliant. I didn't pick up on that until watching the spot again online.

I thought they did a great job with the cast as well. I agree with Javert though in that Ludi Lin (Zack) could've used a bit more development, but he did alright for what he was given. I'm hoping they flesh him out more in the potential sequel(s). I wasn't too sure about the updated Rita Repulsa, but the way they tied her and Zordon together was done well-enough. I'm still not a big fan of Rita being the original Green Ranger, but it is what it is. The way Elizabeth Banks (Rita Repulsa) and Bryan Cranston (Zordon) portrayed their respective roles was brilliantly done. And speaking of Zordon, I liked the way they wrote his dialogue, even if he did come off a bit arrogant throughout 75% of the movie. Be as that may, he certainly redeemed himself when he made the ultimate sacrifice. Once again, sending goosebumps throughout my body. As for the updated Alpha 5, he was... well... different. He resembled the original Alpha pretty well, minus the added eyes, but I would've liked someone other than Bill Hader to voice him. It wasn't that he was bad, he just didn't have the right vocal pitch to pull off our Alpha. Overall though, there isn't much to complain about.

I think we all know I don't like rating movies, but if you put money on me owning the Bluray, you placed an incredibly smart bet. As for potential sequels, it appears the record breaking merchandise sales may be the reason the series continues since it underwhelmingly performed at the box office. I certainly hope there's more to come.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
Raised By Wolves
 Posted: Jun 29 2017, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Squatt
Group Icon

Member No.: 979

I have yet to see this movie. It is now out on Blu-Ray/Digital/DVD. As I understand it, Target, Walmart and Best Buy all have this one with different cover art and different features. Does anyone know what the differences are between the three?
PM
^
Darth Illus
 Posted: Jun 29 2017, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

Scorpina
Group Icon

Group: Advanced Member
Member No.: 33

I liked the movie....but it did feel a little well, underwhelming. Sure the CGI, zords, etc were all great, nostalgia in leaps and bounds. But that was it. The power rangers were popular because they introduced a new concept adding to the television industry(based off super sentai sure but still). Here's where I have a problem. The suits borrowed heavily off the iron man and other shiny, gleamy super suits we've seen in games and stuff since forever. Rita Repulsa was laughable as a villain and the actress was pretty baed. There was nothing new or lesson taught. No underlying moral to the story. Nothing to make me go hey this is new. A ragtag band of teenagers get superpowers and save the world. While a novel concept in the era of the 90s, we live in a world where superhero movies have now become the strongest cinema market. And to that this movie adds nothing. Enjoyable...but ultimately forgettable. Even Power Rangers Turbo movie was better...
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll