» A Game of Thrones General, A Song of Ice and Fire
Knight of the Fireflies
 Posted: Dec 12 2011, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

Scorpina
Group Icon

Group: Advanced Member
Member No.: 501

Last Spring HBO's adaptation of George R.R. Martin's best selling low fantasy epic "A Song of Ice and Fire" premiered to huge ratings and even bigger critical accolades. I can't be the only person on the forum to have read the books, much less seen the show, so I thought it'd be a good idea to get a topic going about what I think is far and away the best show on television at the moment.

And, while I encourage discussion about the books if anyone's read them, be sure to put all spoilers in their proper tags.

I've been a fan of the books for years now, so this series was kind of a big deal to me, and wow did they hit it out of the park. I was skeptical as to how authentic it would be to the books, considering each of the five volumes released is between nine to twelve hundred pages long, but they got it right. The acting was spot on, the costume and set design was word for word right out of the book with few exceptions, and the plot survived almost entirely intact with very few deviations or exclusions. If anyone needs an example for how to do an adaptation right, this is it.

It's got a great pedigree, spearheaded by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss with a ton of input from the author himself. It stars talent from the likes of Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Lena Headey, and Peter Dinklage (which won him an Emmy).

So if you like low fantasy with just a tiny bit of magic, taken seriously and maturely, completely focused on the characters, politics, and their interactions in a gritty, believable world this is the show - and the books - for you.

I'll leave off with a preview HBO just released for Season 2, coming this April.

PMMSN
^
GoblinQueen
 Posted: Jan 26 2012, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Putty
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 546

So happy to see another fan! biggrin.gif We don't normally get HBO, but we switched our cable provider last summer and got a free 3-month trial of HBO channels - just in time to watch the first season of Game of Thrones. I had read the first 4 books several years ago (still haven't picked up Dance With Dragons), and the television adaptation reminded me exactly why I loved these books so much. My only complaint that I can recall would be that Daenerys doesn't really look like Daenerys to me, but I think the actress at least did a decent job with the part, and overall, even if I had never read the books, the show is just amazing. They put so much detail into the setting, and the music is really good too - I never get tired of watching the intro.

I won't get to watch season 2 until it comes out on DVD, but after the amazing season 1, at least I know it will be a good purchase. smile.gif
PM
^
Pumjetsu
 Posted: Aug 8 2017, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Master Vile
Group Icon

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 6

We have a Game of Thrones topic that hasn't been posted in for five years, and everyone wonders what is wrong with this forum... //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I recently caught up/started watching GoT. I had seen, I think the first two episodes back a few years ago when we had a free HBO weekend. It seemed okay, but I was pretty lost, and then I never had HBO again so I couldn't watch it anyway. But now I've been running low on things to watch on Netflix, so I am giving HBO Now a fair (30 day) trial.

I'm glad to say I am completely up to speed on the happenings in Westeros, and I love it. Well, I don't love what's happening in Westeros. But I love the show anyway. It's too bad I picked up fandom during the penultimate season though.

Here are related videos:

PMEmail Poster
^
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Television & Movies | Next Newest »

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll